Skip to main content

Through Rose Colored Glasses - Part 2

  


Of course I did not know at the moment that he was lying.

Relief flooded in.

 “Why?” came the consecutive question.

“Just asking” I smiled as I typed.

I changed the topic and we went on talking.
_____________________________________________

The dreaded day came; the day when his batch passed out.

It made a difference. I could no longer see him in the halls or catch him in the canteen and see that gorgeous smile. But I could chat with him and besides I knew him better there.

My notebooks were full of scribbles. His and my name: it sounded so good together.

The smallest initials would be carved on my palm with my favorite pen.
His comments on my pictures, my statuses, his passion, our conversations, even the way he gave me picture courtesy on my brother’s group picture that I would take, just made me swoon. I was over the top.
Our conversations did not end with his farewell. If anything, we talked even more.
______________________________________________

He was teasing me again one day, and like always, not giving in, that it was him I liked, after all.

I can remember the discussion as if it were yesterday.

“This love is useless. No one should fall in love, you know?”

“Why would you say that?” I frowned.

“Because I’m afraid”

“Afraid of what?”

“Afraid of all the posts that you are keeping these days. You seem be in love with someone. And I’m afraid you’ll get your heart broken.”

“Haha” I said.

“Don’t be in love. It’s no good.”

“And you would know? Does that mean you have someone in your life?

“Haha. No, this love thing is just not for me.”

“Then you wouldn’t know”

“You shouldn’t be in love” he ignored the statement.

“What if I want to be?” I challenged him.

“Then tell me who it is”

“I’ve said it many times. It’s you”. I sighed as I typed.

“You really like to kid around, don’t you kid?”

“I’m not a kid!”

“My friend’s sister is my sister. So kid :P”

I gave up.

But surely, someone who belittled love in that way, would not have someone in their life?

Little did I know how wrong I was.
________________________________________________

I had tickets for the annual school festival.

“Can you and your friends come?” I asked my brother.

“Sure.”

My heart leapt. It meant he would be coming too.

Great. I’ll leave you 5 tickets then? I counted five tickets on my ticket book and started looking for a pen to write down the names.

“Make it 6.” He said as he took a swig from his water bottle.

“6? Since when did you guys become 6?”

“The rockstar will bring his girlfriend” he winked at me.

I stopped short. rockstar was what my brother called him.

“Ohhh” I tried to smile. “Okay”

He took the tickets and went to his room.

To say that I was heartbroken would not even begin to define what I felt. My vision was blurring. A sudden headache began to form.

“Don’t fall in love” he had said.

“Love is worthless”

So this is what it was all about?

I know I should have backed off right then and there.

But I didn’t.
________________________________________________


Maybe it was him denying any of it, but I just could not bring myself to accept the fact wholeheartedly that he did indeed have someone else in his life.

I saw them together at the school fest, trying to be subtle, close enough to catch each other’s eye but not close enough for people to notice.

She was pretty. She wore a sundress with flower prints that fell to her knee.

Have you ever tried to see someone you like be with someone else, someone that they like? It is not easy.

I tried my best to look okay. I don’t know if he was ignoring me that day or just felt guilty about all that ‘don’t fall in love’ talks. Either way, he barely looked at me that day.

Needless to say, I was crushed.
______________________________________________

Our conversations began to get rare after that. He was starting to have a busy schedule with college now.

That summer I travelled with my family.

I saw a keyring that would be perfect for him. I had to get it. And I did.

I got the keyring but since he seldom came home these days because of his busy schedule, I handed the keyring to my brother. I had no other way.

I clearly remember the bewildered look he gave me.

Maybe my otherwise idiot of a brother didn’t really understand my mood on other days, but that day he put two and two together.

That was the day my brother found out.
______________________________________________

He didn’t say anything; my brother has never said anything outright about his disapproval, but I noticed in his behavior.

Neither of us confronted the other.

I guess my brother did give him the keyring though, because the already rare conversations were now extinct.
______________________________________________

His passion became his life; literally! when he joined a band. I couldn’t have been happier. When you are passionate about the work you do, it never really seems like work.

I smiled at the thought of how big this is for him.

“Congratulations!” I wrote, in the once populated with words, but now deserted chat.

The message was seen.

It hurt more than seeing him with that girl.
_______________________________________________

Despite all of that, I just couldn’t stop. No matter the ignorance, no matter if there were barely two words spoken between us or any contact at all that I could hold on to, I couldn’t let go.

My eyes longed to see for him, searched for him in everyday life, if I could just accidently catch a sight of him even for one second.

I always bought tickets to his concerts.

I always looked up his stories, his posts. I know none of this mattered to him. But it was what kept me going.

Maybe it was still hope, but I was certain there were never pictures of them together, perhaps people were just teasing?

Looking up if he was online had become a daily habit now; I know he never spoke. The last message that I sent which he hadn’t replied had been years ago. But there was something comforting about seeing him online. It was like he’s…. here.

Yeah, there was no doubt, my cousins were starting to call me crazy by now.
_____________________________________________

His birthday was coming up and I knew just the perfect birthday present for him.

I decided I would make it with my own hands; I also decided that it would the last time I would be doing anything for him.

This would be my way of bidding adieu.

I got some craft paper, paper glue, pens, pencils, stickers and got to work.
_____________________________________________

A week later, I was done, and I was proud of the creation.

He would be so happy, I smiled imagining him opening it.

I had made him a photobook of his musical journey. I had kept hold of every newspaper article, every photo every that made way to where he is now.

It was basically his passion in physical form.

Barely able to contain my excitement, I typed in the chat box: is there way I could meet you? It’s important.

I checked before bed. 7:24 pm seen.

Sleep did not come easy that night.
___________________________________________

I did not want to hand it over to my brother this time, no way.

I packed up the photobook and sent it in a parcel to his house, with no name and no return address.

Only a note: “I hope you believe me now”

In a funny way, we both had not believed the other all along, even though, we somewhere knew that what we were trying to deny was true.

He had not believed that it was him that I had always liked and I had not believed that there was someone with him.

Now he would know.

And I was content by the mere fact that at least now I knew, that he knew.

And that was the end of it.
__________________________________________

And that was the end of it…..” she repeated staring off into the distance.

There was a long pause.

“Wow……I just….wow” I was at a loss of words.

She was looking at a couple of kids playing.

“If you don’t mind me asking,’ I fidgeted with my fingers “How long has it been?”

There was a deep breath as she closed her eyes. “10 years”

“What??” My eyes bulged wide open. “10 years?”

“It has been 10 years”

I gave her some time. The absence of words did not seem so uncomfortable.

“How come you told me the story, all of it I mean?”

She looked at me, and I swear I could see a hint of moisture in her eyes “Sometimes, the deepest of secrets can come out in front of complete strangers than even the best of friends”

I took that in.

“I guess that means I look trustworthy.” I joked.

She giggled. At least the atmosphere seemed to lighten up.

“It must have been a great burden, huh? To keep all this in for such a long time? To can’t let go; I don’t want to be judgmental but you do not look like someone who would normally open up about their feelings.

“I guess so” she agreed.

“I’m sorry, I have to ask” I shifted and turned to face her “Why now, why after all these years?”

She took a long time to answer that one and I almost apologized for asking when she said it.

“Because he’s getting married this year, I finally have to believe it, even if he said otherwise”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo