Skip to main content

One Day in Palpa




“Choli ramro palpali Dhaka ko…” we’ve all heard this classic song. But here’s a catcher: while Palpa is famous for its Dhaka cloth and karuwas, these are not the only things you should visit Palpa for. Palpa is so much more, one of my favorite places that I’ve visited so far. Plan a weekend to Palpa.

Enjoy the hill station vibes when you enter the city: I don’t know if it is just me, but I love small cities that are created around a small hill; houses as if they were placed on top of one another. We’re talking about Tansen, Palpa here. I swear the moment I saw the city I could not help but remember the hillstations like Darjeeling and cities like Kirtipur. The step by step uphill rounding to the city is itself a wonderful journey.

Palpa ko Jerry: When I left for Palpa, my brother suggested I try the jerry there. He insisted that it was different from the jerries available here. I did not think much of it. But once I took a bite, there was no denying he was right. The jerry there is just something else, they are double the size found in the valley and delicious. Have one with hot tea for breakfast, or two or three!


The biggest carved door in Asia: You cannot miss this huge door in the centre of Palpa. It is the bigges carved door in Asia. This door leads to the Durbar.


The Palpa Durbar: This place has its own history: first built in 1927 and newly reconstructed after damage in a battle with the Maoists. Take your own time to take a round of the premises. 


Get your blessings at Bhagwati Mandir : Right behind the durbar is the famous Bhagwati mandir of Tansen, Palpa. The royal family payed their respects in this temple back then. And there is a jatra every year during the dashain.


Hike to the Shreenagar Hills: Shreenagar hills is about 15 minutes on ride and 30 minutes on foot from the city. You can go whatever way is most feasible to you. Once you reach the entrance, hike up hills past little monuments on the way. The woods are serene and peaceful. Oh and did I tell you about the 8 talla karuwa like tower there?



The view is breathtaking!




After all that walking, head back into town for lunch. The best meal to have for an adventurous day is hands down a thakali meal. Try the thakali thali at Palpa.


Rani Mahal : After a full-fledged meal, pull yourself together for an adventurous trip to Rani Mahal. Rani Mahal is also popularly called the Taj Mahal of Nepal. Not only is this the most popular destination in Palpa but it carries with the elegance and the history that it is. You can book a vehicle to get here; it would take you about 30 mins-45 mins by vehicle. Or you can take prefer your foot, it would take you around 3 hours.


Try Local food : After you get back from Rani Mahal, try the local food around Palpa to settle your rumbling stomach. Batuk is quite popular here. 


Dig into a plate of chukauni. Try a plate of haans ko choyela too.


Around the bazar and souvenirs: The bazar of Palpa is a wonder in itself; full of galleys that take you up and down the hill and little surprises around every corner. Shop for karuwas and things made with Dhaka to take back. They are the best! You will find everything made of Dhaka: wallets, pencil bags, shawls, clothes and much more! No wonder the Palpali Dhaka is so popular in Nepal. I still use the purse that I bought in Palpa and I love it! Still as strong and for the most reasonable prices! However, you might want to take a tour of the bazar quickly because all shops are closed by 7:30 – 8:00 pm.

Sital Niwas : After all that shopping and roaming, take a seat at sital niwas and watch the world go by. As the name depicts, the spot is relaxing and right at the center.


Dinner at Nanglo’s: How many of you know that the popular restaurant chain the Nanglo bakery and café available at so many places around the Kathmandu Valley opened one of its first branches in Palpa in the year 1981? Nanglo is situated at the heart of the bazar, amidst a buzzing atmosphere. Definitely worth a visit!


And this is just the entrance to Nanglo!

Go ahead! Plan a trip to Palpa! I am sure you will not regret it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo