Skip to main content

When We Read “Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus”


I’d heard about this book years ago. You can’t really ignore how creative and funny the title of the book is. But I never got around to reading it. Last week, when I saw it at the library, I couldn’t help but check it out. He and I decided to read it together. I was curious to see how the book would help us communicate better and understand each other’s differences.

To start with, the title isn’t just a title, the author literally uses the example of how men and women are from two different planets, which is a different perspective as to show why it is so hard sometimes for one gender to understand the other. The author John Gray, goes on to point out that men and women need to be more aware of their differences and stop trying to turn things around their way because that is the way things are in the respective planets of origin.

To be honest, we were surprised at how the book caught on so well as to the times we could misunderstand each other and we interpreted what the other was saying. We both could hear each other say: “Yes, that’s true.” The book also went on to give tips as to how to deal with difficult things to say to your partner and what would be the right time to say it. It was eye-opening to know that while women felt better talking about their problems and saw it as building relationships when they shared their problems to others, men rarely talk about their problems unless they want to ask for help; they’d rather solve it on their own. Women also feel ignored or rejected when men refuse to tell what their problem is and talk about it, when in fact they just want some time alone to think about it. This little behavior alone, I’m sure, has caused problems in many households.

It was refreshing to find out about the different perspectives and what the phrases men and women use actually translate to. However, at several points in the book though, we found out how the author generalized both genders. Granted emotional support and talking are very important to a woman, her ambitions and goals are not less important than her feelings, as he states in one of the chapters. Men might be more uptight when it comes to their feelings but men should not feel insulted at the thought of emotional support all the time. The book somehow, at several points, despite clarifying what men and women really mean when they say certain things makes it seem like women are oversensitive and needy who only really care about their feelings and men are egoistic who'd rather be alone.

I get that the book was originally published in 1992, and it was way ahead of its time, I’ll give it that. And of course, you can’t possibly tell how all men and women behave. You can only take what is useful to you from the book. That’s what we’ve decided to do.

Is this book a good idea to understand your partner better? Yes, to a certain extent. Would this book have been a huge hit if it were published in the current time: No.

I'm going to leave a link to a pdf version of the book here:

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo