Skip to main content

Making Risotto The Simple Way

 

I’ve always deemed risotto to be a really fancy dish and in some ways it is. I never thought I’d try making risotto at home but one day I did and it turned out to be pretty good. So let’s try making risotto the simple way, shall we? These are mostly ingredients that will be easily found at home. Risotto is usually made with Arborio rice; I substituted that for glutinous rice or taichin rice because it is starchier and well I didn’t know if that kind of Arborio rice is available here.

Here is what you will need (for one serving)

2 tablespoons oil

½ cup short grained rice

2 cups chicken stock

4-5 mushrooms thinly sliced

1 small onion diced

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

3 tablespoons of butter

Salt as per taste

Pepper as taste

Lemon juice

Preparation Time: 5-10 mins

Cooking Time: 20 mins

Instructions

  1. Set your pot over medium heat on the stove and splash in 2 tablespoons of oil in there. Use a tall pot. It works best for you will keep on adding the liquid
  2. When the oil has heated, you want to throw in your diced onion in there and give it a good stir.
  3. Once your onions start to become translucent; add in your mushrooms and butter. Give it a good mix.
  4. In a separate pot, you want to heat up some chicken stock. You can either use chicken stock from well boiling some chicken or you can add in some Knorr Chicken Cubes to about 2 cups of water and let it come to a boil. Pick whichever works best for you.
  5. When the butter has melted, add in your garlic. It should already start smelling heavenly at this point.
  6. While your mushrooms, butter and garlic and onions are incorporating in the pot, wash your rice. Then add it to the pot. Mix in the rice as they form a beautiful combination.
  7. Splash in the lemon juice of half a lemon.
  8. Add salt and pepper as per taste.
  9. After about half a minute, take your chicken stock and slowly add in the liquid in portions. Add just enough chicken stock to cover the rice and give it a mix.
  10. Keep doing this, adding in just enough stock to cover the rice when the rice has absorbed the stock.
  11. When your stock has almost finished, after about 20 mins, check to see the rice; it should be al dente. The rice should be cooked with a little bit of bite into it.

You can serve with grated cheese and chopped up cilantro.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo