Skip to main content

Is there life in Outer Space?

  

I am willing to bet all of us have thought of this question at least once, one way or another. I’ve thought of it endless times and I am not ashamed to admit it. When the sun goes down, we see this whole other night sky: dark, intriguing, full of stars. It’s fascinating how the solar system works. Until 16th century, people actually thought the sun revolved around the earth and they thought Galileo was crazy for pointing out otherwise. Perhaps that pointing out that the earth, in fact, revolves around the sun and so do other planets that form our little family has opened up endless possibilities for the humankind. Thank you Galileo!

It was my brother who got my curiosity into the outer space. He would show me through the telescope on a dark starry night: the craters on the moon, the rings of Saturn, mars and what was visible of stars far, far away. He would make me draw in my head the different constellations in the sky as he pointed them out. As a little girl, I was in awe. We had this book called Skywatching. It had the photo of Galileo on the cover. I would look up the different constellations and their stories. The little girl in the 3rd grade wanted to become an astronaut later in life.

Of course, I found that dream wildly unrealistic for myself later in life, but I didn’t lose my interest in the stars and space. The big bang theory and the beginning of the universe itself has always been questionable with the existence of God. Isn’t it interesting how one event caused everything afterward and what and who we are today? That we are made of stardust? That we are floating amidst space in the energy of a mere burning star that provides us everything. I recently started reading “The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy”. It is this story of how the earth was destroyed and a fellow person of the earth and an alien hitchhike their way into space on other spaceships. One of the most famous books of all times, Douglas Adams creates this world where you get lost in aliens, spaceships, alien terms and so much more. And once again, it made me wonder: what if there really is life in space?

I’m open to the idea that there could be. Think about it; we are one planet in one solar system in a galaxy with so many other solar systems in a universe with who knows how many galaxies. Why isn’t it possible that there could be life out there? Why isn’t it possible that another planet out there is just the right distance from its parent star and has all the right conditions to born and groom life on it?  Perhaps we will not be able to get a hold of them for many, many years still but life out there is very much possible.

Keep an open mind and look up into a dark night every now and then. When I was in the 8th grade, my parents and I stayed over at a resort in Pharping. I was in the room right next to theirs. I got ready for bed and turned off the lights. Sleeping at a new place took me some time, so sleep did not come early that night. But I was surprised to look up at the ceiling and notice a window there. It gave me a view of the countless stars in the dark night. I was looking back in time. So many stars that are hardly all visible from my home due to the light pollution. But out here, nights are divine. Out here, you can talk to the stars and make conversations with them. Then and only then, when you look up at the stars on clear dark night into the space out there, into the infinity out there, will you realize that the universe is much much bigger than we can ever anticipate and that you are just a small part of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo