Skip to main content

Graduation Goggles



Believe it or not, as graduation came nearer, I had this random thought in my head, bear with me because this is very random indeed. Ted Mosby had said in How I Met your Mother that there are two great days in a guy’s life, the day you meet the girl of your dreams and the day you ask her to marry you. You’ll see where I’m going with this, trust me. So, I thought, it’s the same with students, you know? For any student, there are two great days, the first day of college and the day you graduate. Needless to say, I was excited for my graduation.
The invitation came in the month of October, and I was told that I was to give the Valedictorian speech. I had a month to prepare for everything and that month went in a blur. There were frequent trips to the college, shopping for the right saree, drafts for my speech, endless preparation of speaking. And before I knew it, the day had arrived. You know that feeling, how you feel like you’re the star of the show, it’s your day, it’s your big day? Yeah this was my day, this was our day. This day was the outcomes of all the hard work I had put into for 2 years, all those late nights I stayed up for assignments, all those interviews I took for my reports, all those hours in front of the mirror practicing for my presentations. And it was here. The big moment was here, the big moment had come.
The arrangements blew me away, they were special as I had imagined, all the balloons, all the props, all the colors; it was enough to swoon anyone away. It seemed like time seemed to haze away and slow down at the same time, because there were so many things I wanted to. I had tons of pictures to click with my friends, I had to give my speech, and I had to embrace the moment. I hoped I could justify that last one. Because that was what I wanted to do best, this moment was not coming back again. Moments before the speech, when I knew that name was about to be announced, I could feel my heart beating fast, I was nervous. I wanted to run away, could I really do this? What if I made I mistake? What if I got blank stares? What if I stammered and lost track? Then what? Would I make a fool of myself? But all that went away once I got on the stage. These were not people I did not know. These were people I cared about, this was family. I did not get blank stares, I got looks of encouragement, I saw proud eyes; I don’t know how I understood, but I just did. And then, even then as so many pairs of eyes looked at me as I spoke, all that nervousness just went away, because I knew that I was amidst comfort here. And when so many people came to me and praised me for the speech and that they really liked it, there was no doubt, that this was one of the happiest days of my life.
As I looked around at the familiar faces, I realized that this would be last time I would see all of us together. I recalled the very first day at college when we were just getting to know each other and now I can’t imagine a time I did not know them. I remembered everything, all those cups of tea we had after our classes, all those times we laughed away both with each other and at each other, all those times we hung out, all those lectures, all those assignments, all those oh god not one more time moments in classes. They didn’t seem as bad as they did a while ago. Maybe this was what they call graduation goggles.

Comments

  1. Hearty congratulations for your graduation my dear. Wish u more successful years ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo