Skip to main content

A Weekend in Kuala Lumpur



Years ago, I don’t remember how many, I saw this ad: Malaysia, Truly Asia. This promotional video, aside from the catchy line, really caught my attention. And I couldn’t help but think then, that I’d really like to visit here someday.
Fortunately, for me, that dream came out to be true.
I’m glad to say that Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, actually exceeded my expectations. It’s a beautiful place to be.
If you plan a weekend away, take a chance and go to Malaysia. 
Selamang Datang!
Here is how you can spend a weekend in Kuala Lumpur, in no particular order.
The King’s Palace gate
Sadly, this is just about as limited as the name get. It is literally the gate of the Palace. You’d think that would make people less interested. No, if anything, people were still taking pictures. 

National Monument
Now, this is something else. A place of historical importance, this space has been utilized beautifully. 

The National Monument is a sculpture that commemorates those who died in Malaysia’s struggle for freedom, principally against the Japanese occupation during World War II and the Malayan Emergency, which lasted from 1948 to 1960. It is the world’s tallest bronze freestanding sculpture grouping. 

National mosque
The national mosque of Malaysia has been made graciously. It is a wonder to look at with 13 acres of land and the capacity to fit 15000 people. One of its key features is the 240 ft minaret. 

Merdeka Square
The meaning literally transfers to independence square. The building while designed gracefully, also reflects history. The Merdeka square is where the Malaysian flag was held up for the first time after it’s victory. It is usually used as a venue for the national parade day and political rallies. 

The KL Tower
The Kuala Lumpur tower is the 7th tallest freestanding tower in the world at a height of 335 meters and an antennae that increase its height up to 421 meters. The tower also has a skybox: where you can get an aerial view of the city and as if this were not enough, there is a revolving restaurant at the top.

The Petronas Tower
The Petronas tower also popularly known as Twin Towers stand as a landmark of Malaysia. They were the tallest towers in the world from 1995 to 2004 and remain the tallest twin towers in the world today. 

Don’t forget to take an awesome picture here!
Batu Cave
The Batu cave is a little bit further from the city. There are a number of festivals held here and this cave is dedicated to Lord Murugan. It is considered to be the most popular Tamil shrine outside India.

Sunway Lagoon Theme Park
The theme park could just about take up your whole day. There a number of fun rides to get a hold of. Remember to put sunscreen!

The Kasturi market
The Kasturi market is a popular street shopping destination here in Kuala Lumpur, go nuts!

Chinatown market
You could get really good deals here, just be careful because once you ask about something and then not purchase it, you could piss off the owner.

The Peta Ling market
The Peta Ling market is another popular shopping destination here and even more because it is also referred to as the culture market. 

These would be the main places you could visit over the weekend. Keep a day aside for shopping. You’ll need it.
Here are some other things to keep in mind. 
History: There are train stations from the 1880’s and markets and destinations that have preserved culture over the years; definitely worth a visit. 
Currency: Malaysian Ringgits, also called Ringgits or RM is used in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Right now, the currency exchange rate is 26.93 NRS.
Flight time: If you take a direct flight, it would take about 4.5 hours to reach.
When not to go: Do not visit during the August – September time. Sadly, we happened to go at this time. What happens is farmers in Indonesia burn down forests every year during the same time to make more space for farming. The consequence? There is haze all the way to Malaysia. Hence, there is not clear weather during this time.
Tandas: In case of natural emergencies, just remember the word tandas, it means bathroom in Malay. You might just need it.
What I liked best about Kuala Lumpur: I liked that they have utilized their resources very well. While the lanes on the road are very wide and have crossovers and metros that pass conveniently, they have also not cut down their forest resources. There is so much greenery alongside the highways and roads. 
The Malaysians are not shy to represent their patriotism, there is literally a flag down every block, flags are sold at marts, there is just so much positivity.
And here have a look at the video I was referring to, sure it might be old, but have a look anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo