Skip to main content

He Sold Love for Rs 500 - Part 2



He sold Love for Rs 500 - Part 1

I looked at him longingly, looked for ….. any signs.

He seemed to notice, of course.

He took a moment from his laptop and smirked, “What is it? Is there something on my face?”

I blushed. “No, I’ll leave to your work.”

Note to self: the potion does not work instantaneously, I thought as I shamefully walked away.
__________________________________________________________________________________

It was the end of the work day.

I slumped my bag over my shoulder and walked grudgingly to the elevator.

“Hey” I heard someone call from behind me

I turned around.

It was him.

“Hey” he waved as he ran towards me.

“Are you leaving?’

“Yeah”.

“Can I give you a ride home?

I needed a couple of seconds to take in the shock until I realized I looked like a complete idiot standing there without saying anything.

“You…..you want to drop me ho-home?” I repeated slowly. Repeating it made it sound more real to me.

He nodded.

Could he be any cuter??? My heart was literally melting.

He had never approached me before this; never offered to drop me home. Could this be the effect of the potion? I wondered to myself.

We rode down the elevator and to the parking lot.

He opened the door for me. Such a gentleman!

I fastened my seatbelt when I noticed that he was just staring at me.

I raised my eyebrows.

He smiled sheepishly “Have you always been this beautiful?”

I grinned ear to ear. I know my nostrils flare when I do that; I look like the Grinch, Gina always says; my hair was plastered to my head after a long day, but who cares? He thought I was beautiful!

It was all that mattered.

The seatbelt did all it could to keep me from jumping up and dancing around.
Best 500 Rs purchase I’ve ever made!
__________________________________________________________________________________

It was not the only surprise of that day though.

As I was washing up before bed, I got a call.

“Hey! What you up to?”

“Just finished dinner, I was washing up. What is it? Is it something about work?”

“No I just….” There was a pregnant pause.

I waited.

“I was thinking maybe you and I could grab dinner after work tomorrow night?”

I pursed my lips together to keep from shouting. “I’d love to.”

He had never called me once in 3 years. 3 years!!!

There was no seatbelt to keep me this time. I pumped my fist into the air and danced around the house.
__________________________________________________________________________________

I wore my best dress the next day. It was the perfect combination of inviting but not too revealing.

We headed to the Vivanta Hotel and had an amazing evening watching over the most beautiful sunset. Of course, having him beside me made the sunset all the more glorious.

He told me all about his family, where he studied school and everything.

I exclaimed at and questioned everything as if I were knowing everything for the first time. I couldn’t let him know that I already knew everything through countless hours of stalking *wink *wink

It was everything I imagined when I would go out with him and more.

I was on seventh heaven.

Things only got even better the next day.

He made me lunch!

It was this egg salad sandwich with the cutest smile drawn with ketchup on the top. My heart swelled with happiness!

And there was this note inside that said “have a great day love.”

Could I be any happier?

Apparently: yes.
_________________________________________________________________________________

The next few weeks were total bliss. I went through this amazing journey with him and I was so grateful to the potion.

We went hiking together.

We watched horror movies, cuddled up on the couch.

We went shopping.

We went on long drives.

Oh, did I mention that he picked me up for work and dropped me home every – single – day?

Needless to say, I was in a relationship with the man of my dreams!

*sighs*

Of course, people had begun to notice at the office by now. But all that teasing sounded like music to my ears.
Take that new girl who was trying to flirt with him! 
__________________________________________________________________________________

I was late for our date. The place was close to my apartment so I had told him I would walk. Unfortunately, making up my hair and picking out an outfit took longer than I thought. I ran, only to arrive half an hour late.

I was ready for a tantrum, a sulky face, anything. But he stood there, just as pleasantly anticipating me.

That would be a dream come true; I know, but oddly, I felt a little uncomfortable.

This was also the point where I realized we had never been in a fight; no, not a single one.

He had never gotten mad at me, never argued, never discussed, just agreed.

Was this normal?

Aren’t relationships supposed to have fights? Not huge ones, of course. But a little fight, sure I mean. It just shows that the other person cares for you and wants the best for you.

I decided to test him.
__________________________________________________________________________________

The next day there was another brown bag on my desk. He had made me lunch again. Pasta, red sauce with garlic and cheese only; just the way I liked it.

It was delicious.

I took a deep breath and made my way to his desk.

“This tastes awful. You just put a bad taste in my mouth.” I had tried my best to look angry.

I expected disappointment, maybe him bursting about the time it took, about how I never made him lunch but he has been; anything.

Worry engulfed his face. “Baby, I’m so sorry. I’ll never make pasta again.”

My heart sank.
__________________________________________________________________________________

We had our yearly office outing coming up.

This year we were going to Balthali resort.

After the bad lunch test, I needed one more test to confirm.

I googled “how to make your boyfriend jealous”. Hey, newbie here, alright?

The outing on the weekend was a one nighter. I spent a significantly large amount of time with other colleagues at our office, laughing at some random joke, loudly I might add.

I barely paid him attention. I threw him a look once in a while.

He stood in the corner eagerly looking at me. When our eyes met, his face would light up. But I turned way intentionally and asked Luna about her gym class.

After dinner that night, I slowly made my way to him.

“So, how’s the evening been?”

Please, explode, react, say anything about how I ignored you all through the evening, I thought to myself.

“It’s going to be great, now that you’re finally here”, he looked at me with puppy dog eyes.

That was all the confirmation I needed.

This man didn’t just love me, he worshipped me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo