Skip to main content

The 80/20 Effect




Do you remember having read this theory in economy? The 80/20 effect? Perhaps in school?

No?

You don’t?

Well let me take you down the memory lane.

The 80/20 effect is also referred to as the Pareto Principle.

The Pareto Principle was discovered by Vilfredo Federico Damaso Pareto.

Legend has it, that one day, he noticed that 20% of the pea plants in his garden generated 80% of the healthy pea pods. This observation caused him to think about uneven distribution. He thought about wealth and discovered that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by just 20% of the population. He investigated different industries and found that 80% of production typically came from just 20% of the companies. The generalization became:

80% of the results will come from just 20% of the actions.

This rule is also appreciated by the financial institutions who know that maximum profit of theirs is generated by 20% of their highest loan takers rather than the 80% of the rest.

Now, here is why I’m bringing all these up, as if this is a class taught in school.

I found the 80/20 effect or the Pareto principle recently, but it was used in a whole different perspective rather.

Recently, the Miss Nepal 2019 event took place and we have been blessed with the new reign this year, who I’m sure will make us all proud. But here is what dropped my jaw: one of the judges shared the Miss Nepal judging sheet. And correct me if I’m wrong, but this reminded me of the pareto principle in a whole new way. The sheet as depicted above, read: 80 marks for beauty, grace and features and a measly 20 marks for intellectual answer.

What?

Come again?

Is this how it has been happening all these years?

Yes, it’s a beauty pageant, but should the marks be not given for grace and intellectuality equally. I mean, if this is the way it is done, how do you think someone who has given a great answer can compete with someone who is simply naturally or rather experienced to carry herself on stage? Is this supposed to be like the Pareto principle? Is 20% of the action supposed to make up for the 80%? Or is this the other way around? Where beauty and grace is actually given more emphasis rather than intellectuality?

With all due respect, I highly appreciate Miss Nepal reign and the way they proudly represent our country. They have been giving justice to their titles; believe me, they have. But given that the title is supposed to represent “beauty with brains”, how do you think this judging sheet justifies it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo