Skip to main content

A Chariot Story





And lo and behold, it is that time of the year again. The yearly Machhindranath jatra; one of the biggest events in Lalitpur It is an experience of a lifetime!

If you’ve passed the Pulchowk road recently, you might have noticed the chariot being built. The tall and sturdy chariot carries within it: rato machhindranath or the god of rain. It makes sense because the jatra takes place every year in April – May right before monsoon. The rato machhindranath has another name: Bungdya. The name originates from the place where the god of rain resides in other times of the year: Bungamati. Every year, the Bungdya is brought in from Bungamati, in a celebratory way, of course, once the chariot has been complete.

The chariot to house the deity of Bungamati is built days ahead at Pulchowk. The chariot is mainly built from wood and cane of specific kind and measurements. Everything associated with the chariot has to be 32. The chariot is to be 32 hands long. The rotation of the wheel is to be done 32 times. The length of the wood attached to the front of the chariot is also 32. The beautiful but heavy chariot is pulled with the help of two big wheels. The big chariot is also followed by a smaller one; one which houses the Seto Machhindranath. As everything in the chariot of Rato Machhindranath has to be 32, the smaller chariot is to 28.

With the installation of the Bungdya, the jatra starts. The chariot is dragged from its spot in Pulchowk and through Gabahal where it spends the night. The chariot is then taken through the town: the next stop being Mangal Bazar. Every morning, Bungdya is made to wash his face and shown a mirror to start the day. Post Mangal Bazar, the next destination is Sundhara through Hakha. During the stretch between Iti and Thati, as per time honored tradition, the chariot is pulled exclusively only by women. And then after, the chariot visits Chakrabahil and Lagankhel. When the chariot reaches the busy streets of Lagankhel, a coconut is thrown from the zenith of the chariot. It is said that whoever catches the coconut and offers it to Bungdya will be blessed with a baby boy and will have an auspicious year ahead. The chariot is then celebrated through the wide streets of Kumaripati and brought to the Jawalakhel roundabout where the authentic Bhotojatra takes place. The bhoto of Bungdya is shown with pride. This bhoto consists of jewels. Once Bhotojatra takes place, the Bungdya is taken back to hometown and the festival ends at Jawalakhel.

However, once in every 12 years, the chariot procession actually starts from Bungamati itself and the Bungdya is taken from the streets of Thadodhunga at Dhobighat.

To see this huge chariot, towering over the house of Patan being pulled by hundreds of men, celebrated at each pull is truly something else. Come join the jatra this year. Live the experience of a lifetime!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo