Skip to main content

The Day I met my Best Friend's Girlfriend




How should I describe my best friend to you? The idiot that he is, he is also the sweetest, most genuine and most caring friend I’ve ever come across. He wears these goofy thick framed glasses: the kind that make you look like a nerd. But on him, they seemed pretentious. For anyone who does not know him up close, he’d come off as a creep. I swear! He just remembers that new watch you’re wearing, because it’s different from the one you wore when you last met him, or he’d remember a new clothing, or you get the idea. I don’t know whether to call him observant or borderline creepy. He’s the kind of person who makes me want to whack him on the head but also pull him into an embrace, at the same time. He is a weird fellow but after 15 years of knowing him, his weirdness has grown on me and I just cannot do without him!

Can you picture him?

No?

Well, I tried anyway.

If you could picture him, you’d understand why I found meeting his girlfriend strange. Not that his girlfriend was strange but I’m getting ahead of myself.

I still remember the day, crisp, as if it were yesterday:

I was making a batch of pancakes, flipping them, humming and dancing around the kitchen.

The phone rang.

“I’ll get it!” I shouted.

“Hello?”

“I want you to meet her!” an excited voice met mine from the other side.

“So it’s come to this, huh?” I sighed.” No greetings, no hi’s, no hello’s. You just get straight to the point, don’t you?”

“I’m serious!” he ignored me. “I want you to meet her.”

“You really are serious about her, aren’t you?” I stuck the cordless between my head and my shoulder. I kept flipping pancakes.

“I am”, he sighed. “Are you in?”

“Alright. Where?”

“Durbarmarg” his answer was prompt. “This Friday. Lunch. I’ll text you the time and place.”

“Well my my, isn’t someone getting fancy?” I laughed.

“Shut up! I’ll talk to you later!”

I didn’t know what to expect. He had been talking about this girl ever since they had been dating, but it hadn’t been that long.  About the movies they’ve seen together, about the places they’ve been together. But like I said, I didn’t really know what to expect.

The rest of the week flew by and Friday had arrived in a snap.

I hurriedly put on my new scarf as I headed out the door. Of course I knew that idiot was sure to comment on it, but the scarf went perfectly with my top. There was no turning back.

I met him on the entrance to Sherpa Mall at Durbarmarg.

“Hey!” I waved my hands excitedly.

My hand stuck mid – air as I realized he was not wearing his glasses.

“Have you actually began to see without your glasses?” I teased.

“I’ve switched to lens” he grinned. “She persuaded me.”

“Oh” it was all I could say.

He was fumbling with his phone.

“So where is she?” I cooed.

“She should be here any minute.” His eyes wandered around the streets.

“Aah! There she is.” His face broke into a smile.

I turned to look.

I could only hope she did not notice the awe in my face because I kid you not, this girl was drop dead gorgeous.

“Hey! I hope I didn’t make you guys wait!”

Even her voice sounded flawless.

"You must be his best friend!"

“Urmmm….. Yeah.” I mumbled.

He nudged me.

I offered my hand. She went in for a hug.

As if things were not already awkward!

Nervous laughter among all of us. We hugged.

We went to a restaurant in Sherpa Mall. I sat opposite the pair.

Without even as much as glance to the menu, my best friend ordered two plates of pasta carbonara.

I stared in dismay. He hated pasta. I could barely get him to eat a spoonful.

“My favorite”, his girlfriend gushed.

I raised my eyebrows questioningly at him. Really? Pasta? I wanted to question.

He shrugged.

“And what will you have?” that butter smooth voice asked me.

“I’ll just have a sandwich” I squeaked.

“Is something wrong?” concern took over her beautiful face. “Be comfortable.”

I cleared my throat.

She? She was telling me to be comfortable. Isn’t this supposed to be the other way around?

Our food arrived.

I unraveled my scarf and set it aside to avoid crumbs on the new fabric. I stopped short and took a double take instead.

Oh no, here come the comments.

I stole a glance at him.

He just smiled at me, laid back, and relaxed, an arm on the couch, taking a sip of his mock tail.

What on earth is going on????? – I was screaming inside my head.  This is not you! Where is the real you? What have you become? You gave up your glasses! You’re eating pasta???? You’ve not commented on my scarf? Is this even you????

“Should we order something else?” was all that came out of my mouth.

All that is behind us now. That was the first time I met her. All this was two years ago, in fact. We’ve met a couple of time after that. It does not feel as awkward to talk to her now. Now that they are settled abroad, too.

Like I said, I remember the day as if it were yesterday, crisp.

I know what you’re thinking: he’s your best friend, why don’t you just ask him? But it’s not that easy. Asking this question would only bubble up other things that were not even there in the first place. Especially because they are happy together.

It reminds me of a line that I read in Gillian Flynn’s ‘Gone Girl’:

“You just seem kind of not yourself with her. And there’s a difference between loving someone and loving the idea of her. The important thing is she makes you really happy.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo