Skip to main content

When We Broke Up - Part 2

                                                   

I followed them for a couple of blocks: barely conscious of what was happening around me or who I was bumping into or pushing out of my way.

All this while, they were laughing.

She was laughing over something he had said. She threw back her head and laughed. He squeezed her hand a little tighter.

Yeah, I could see it.

And who was she kidding? He’s not even that funny! She was acting her way into this!

I dialed my best friend.

“I’m following them,” I blurted out breathlessly.

“What?” My best friend said confused.

I told him the situation.

“What on earth is wrong with you? Turn around this instant!” He urged. And I could not thank him enough for that screaming on the phone that day that made me stop and turn around.

Although that screaming made me turn around, unfortunately it did not stop me from texting him: “We need to talk again.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

I wanted to get back together. I could not see him with another woman. This is what I wanted to tell him when I went to his house.

He greeted me with a kiss on the lips as if my text had just worked like magic and turned everything back. It made my insides flutter. And for an instant, I was happy that what I saw on the streets a few days prior was not true.

I was ecstatic; I almost forgot about everything that had happened too until his phone rang and it was the new girl.

The peck on the lips moments before this, now felt like a hot slap across the face.

“What was that?” I accused as soon as he hung up.

He gave me an innocent look.

“You know I came in here to talk to you about us.”

“I know.” He said simply as if he were stating a mere fact.

“That kiss……” I gave him a questioning look.

“I know”, he said again.

“And that phone call??” I demanded. “What are you trying to do?”

“I have yet to tell her.” He shrugged. “About this.”

I took a deep breath.

“I can’t believe this!  I’m so stupid”, I gushed.

“No, no” he charged forward and took my shoulders in his hands. “You don’t understand! I haven’t told her yet. But I will! I have told her about you, just not about this.”

“Sure.”

“I just met her. It is you that I want. Your text made me realize how much I miss you and how important you are to me.” He tried again.

“How could you just get along with the next girl when it’s been barely 2 weeks after we broke up?” I could no longer hold it in. There was strength in my voice, strength even I was unaware of prior to this moment. “How can you just forget me? How can you just forget us?”

“I haven’t”.

I just looked into his eyes. Were those really the same eyes that used to look only for me; the same eyes that spoke of undying love only for me?? I could not tell.

“We can make this work,” he said and there was something about his tone that sounded convincing.

I did not know what to say.

“Trust me! I will prove it to you!” he continued. “Meet me tomorrow at the coffee shop”

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­________________________________________________________________________________

I went.

I looked around the coffee shop; he had not come in yet. So I took a seat and ordered an Americano.

The Script’s “Breakeven” played in the background.

“Cause when a heart breaks no it don't break even

 What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you?

And what am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're OK?”

“Great! Just great!” I muttered to myself. What timing for the song!

“You’re here!” He rushed towards me.

I gave him a blank look as he took off his jacket and put his phone on the table.

“Well?” I waited. “Why am I here?”

“I told you that I’d prove to you that it is you I want to be with and I will,” he picked up his phone from the table again.

“I’m listening.”

My Americano arrived. He did not want anything.

“I’m going to talk to her right in front of you and you can see for yourself.” He sounded confident.

“She’s coming here?” I almost choked on my Americano.

“What? No, no! I meant by chat.”

“Ohh”.

He opened up a conversation and moved in closer so that I could see.

I saw her name. My heart stung.

“Hey, we need to talk.” He started.

“Hey babe, tell me.” Came the reply.

Babe….. So that’s what she calls him. I turned away. Babe ….. I never called him that. I never like using such names. Maybe he likes it that she calls him that.

“I’ve been hiding something from you. I don’t know where to start….. I know this is going to be very unfair for you. But I’m in still in love with her.”

“????”

“I’m still in love with her. I can’t let her go.”

“Are you serious???” Though it was only text, the fury was clearly visible. “How could you do this to me?”

“I’m sorry.”

“I can’t believe this.”

A huge weight lifted off my shoulder. I was starting to smile. I took a sip of my Americano.

I no longer looked at his screen. I didn’t need to. He had chosen me.

I took another sip.

He was being awfully quiet. He was no longer typing either.

“Something wrong?” I asked.

He looked up at me. I tried to read what his eyes were trying to tell me.

After what seemed like ages, he took my hand in his.

“I’m sorry”, he began.

“What?” I could not hide my surprise.

“I can’t do it. I know what I said. But she is way too special to let go.”

“What do you mean?” My voice now shaky, still trying to understand what just happened.

“I can’t do this to her. You are very important to me but……”

I didn’t hear what he said after that. I didn’t wait. I pulled my hand from his grasp and ran from the coffee shop. I ran barely able to see what or who was on the streets because my eyes were full of tears. I ran and I didn’t stop until I was far, far away from the coffee shop.

I looked back. I could not help it. I did not know what to expect: whether knowing that he ran behind me would relieve me or knowing that he had not would show me my place and set me free.

I found out when I turned around.

He wasn’t there.

He had finally decided.

So I wiped my tears and walked forward.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo