Skip to main content

It's a Girl !!!







This is based on a true story.

I got your attention now, don’t I?

Unlike horror films that use this one liner to creep out their audiences, this is actually based on a true story and no less than horror, if you ask me.

Our story starts some 15 years ago, in a hospital: yes, in hospital; bear with me.

I was staying overnight at the hospital with my elder sister who had just given birth to a baby boy. She was to be kept under observation. I stayed the night with her.

It must have been around 7:15 am the next morning. I was woken up by some noises. It was an emergency.

I glanced at my sister. Thankfully, the noises had not stirred her.

I went to see what the commotion was all about.

I didn’t have to search long. The delivery of the woman had just ended and doctors were heading out of the room. She ended up in our room about half an hour later.

I stole a look at her, she looked tired, pained but most of all unattended. There was no one to accompany her.

Making sure that my sister was still peacefully sleeping, I slowly made my way to her.

“Tough, huh?” I started.

She turned at me. I could see the pleasant surprise in her eyes that it was her I was talking to.

“But worth it”, she smiled.

“Your first?”

“No, my fourth”.

I could not hide my surprise. “Fourth?”

She let out a laugh. “Yes, but this one will definitely be worth the pain” her eyes looked at me longingly.

Before I could respond, the nurse barged in.

“How are you feeling? You were so strong in there!”

The nurse carried a little bundle in her arms.

“How’s the baby?” she ignored the question “Let me see! What is it?”

“It’s a girl!!” The nurse said happily, “A beautiful baby girl!”

Her eager face fell to the ground instantly. The eyes that were longing to see the baby now looked to the opposite direction.

“Here, have a look at your baby,” the nurse tried to hand the innocent bundle towards the mother.

The mother did not reach out, nor did she look, her eyes still looked away to the window and in the distant.

“Are you with her?” the nurse asked me.

“No I’m actually with her” I showed over to my resting sister.

“Has no one come with you?” the nurse asked the mother.

The mother shook her head, her eyes now distant and empty.

“How did you come?” I asked slowly, “All the way to the hospital in this condition?”

“In a tempo”, the mother sounded feeble suddenly.

The nurse and I exchanged a silent look.

“We’re going to keep the baby under observation for a while longer,” the nurse looked at her uncertainly. The nurse took the little bundle back with her.

I stood there awkwardly for a while. I don’t know how much time went by. Every second felt like an hour.

“I’ll make some Horlicks for you” I tried as an icebreaker.

I got some hot water from the thermos beside my sister’s bed. She was still asleep. I mixed in some Horlicks and handed the mug to her.

“Here, you’ll feel better.”

She took the mug from me without a word.

“Is there something I can do for you? Perhaps somebody I can call for you?”

My heart went out to this woman. She looked ………. broke all of a sudden. I felt like I was talking to another woman, the woman who seemed so excited and hopeful merely minutes ago was nowhere to be seen.

She turned her eyes away from the window and looked at me. “Who would come for me? Now that I’ve given birth to another girl?” she gave me a small smile.

Her words pierced through me. I felt a sudden chill to the bones in that instant. I tried to take in what she meant to say.

“But what difference does it make? A boy or a girl?” I asked.

“After 3 girls, I finally thought this time would be the time.” Another ignored question.

I kept quiet.

“This time I thought I would give birth to a little boy”, she continued.

I heard my sister calling for me.

I looked over at her and then turned back to the new mother. She was talking to herself at this point.

So I went over to my sister and asked how she was feeling.

The day went on.

By evening, an old woman came by to visit the new mother.

“Another daughter???” was all I could hear.

Is this less than any scary story? No, I mean really: what’s scary is that this is the reality in many place of our country still. Granted this true story took place 15 years ago, that too in the city, and I pray to God that the perspectives are much better now, and they are somewhat, but how much are you willing to bet that this is still the reality of many families? Of mothers who long for a baby boy so that her child will be accepted with joy in the family and her too? Of women who long for a baby boy so that she will not be called incapable by many? Of families who long for a baby boy so that they can carry their generation forward? Of parents that look forward to a baby boy who can take care of them in their old age?

There is this saying in Nepal: “Chhora manchhe le chita lagaye, Swarga pugcha”. And people believe it with all their hearts. But it’s sad to see that many families still do not realize how “Chhori manchhe le ta ghar nai Swarga banaidincha.”

Nevertheless, I’m not here to take sides, nor am I here to say that females are better; no. what I wish is for majority of people who still think that a baby boy born in the family is a great blessing to understand that a baby girl being born in the family is an equally great blessing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo