Skip to main content

Forever



You’re thinking this is a love story, aren’t you? What with the title and everything? Well, let me assure you: it is not. This is not a story about love. It is a story about friendship; about two best friends. Like love promises; friendship is also promised to be forever, right? Perhaps even stronger.

Let us start from when these two best friends met.

Wait……. I can’t seem to remember when.

Ummmmmmm (scratches chin)

What? Don’t judge me. I do not exactly have the best memory do I?

Never mind, I bet these two do not remember themselves: the time they met or the moment; they had been friends that long. For years and years; they had been together through everything. I mean, literally everything. They grew up side by side, exchanged clothes, studied together, played together; if you did not find one of them at their house, you just knew she would be at her best friend’s. And it was this friendship that ended the long tiff between their families. Seriously, the tiff between two families ended because their grandchildren had become the best of friends. What a sweet friendship, eh?

Now you must be wondering what the names of these two best friends are. I’d tell you in a heartbeat. But I don’t seem to recall the names either.

I told you I had a bad memory.

But let’s call them Soumya and Samara for the sake of the story.

Now where was I?

Oh, yes.

The two girls grew up to be beautiful women, each doing well in their own fields. And they were now both happily married.

Aahhh, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Let’s start with a phone call.

Soumya held the phone in her hand; she pushed in the numbers that she had dialed countless times over the years.

One ring.

Two rings.

“Hello?” that familiar voice answered

“Hey, it’s me. What are you up to?”

“Nothing much, just got back from this party at the Hyatt”

“Oh. How did it go?”Soumya twirled her fingers around the cord. She was used to this. Samara’s life changed a bit over the years after her marriage, as did every girl’s.

“You know: the usual. I had to rush out and get a new dress at the last moment! Talk about stress!”

“Mm hmm” Soumya had never imagined Samara to being such a socialite during her younger years, but now parties, dresses, cocktails were Samara’s thing. She even had a new circle of friends; one Soumya had realized a while back, she was not a part of. Perhaps her marriage had changed her in a different way.

“And Tanya! My god you should’ve seen the dress she wore! She was a stunner! I am definitely going to the boutique she got it from!” Samara continued.

Tanya: Samara’s friend in her new circle that she had become close to in a short matter of time. Tanya: who Samara had barely introduced about Soumya, let alone mention that she was Samara’s childhood friend and best friend. That had stung.

“You should” Soumya smiled.

“Right?” a sigh on the other end “I am exhausted from tonight. I’m going to a book a massage appointment tomorrow.”

“That sounds nice” Soumya chirped.

“And what about you? What have you been up to? How was your day?” came the question.

“Oh you know the usual. I had a tiring day at work. Just put little Raavya to bed. I couldn’t wait to talk to you”.

“How sweet of you!” the response seemed genuine. But Soumya noticed that Samara didn’t say she couldn’t wait either. Maybe it was just her, but she had been noticing these little things. She was usually the one to call these days too. But of course she hadn’t said anything to Samara, not to her husband, Ravi either.

“Tanya said they were planning a trip to Bali this weekend!”

“Wow! Sounds exciting!” Soumya exclaimed.

“I’m thinking of asking Amir and booking up too!” Samara squealed and giggled on the other end. “I hope you won’t get jealous with us going a double trip.”

“Of course not,” Soumya smiled. Jealousy: that word brought up another memory. The day the three of them had decided to meet up: she, Samara and Tanya for shopping at LABIM. Soumya and Tanya had showed up first. Samara arrived a little later to greet only Tanya with a hug. Soumya had not only felt awkward and out of place but a little bit jealous. But she had shared none of it.

“Hey! Did you zone out again?” Samara’s question brought her back.

“Yeah sorry.”

“So tell me, will you be free tomorrow evening? I need a little help with shopping if we go to Bali. I mean I have absolutely nothing to wear!” Samara cried.

“Of course.”

“Thanks best friend. I’ll catch up with you tomorrow, okay?

“Okay”

Click. The line went dead.

Soumya sighed. It was almost always on the tip of her tongue; to tell Samara what she had been feeling. She was her best friend after all. How could she hide what she had been feeling? But it was not so easy. What if this was all in her head? Could she risk the years of friendship they had had? Their friendship was the forever kind; they had promised each other that they would always be there no matter what. Why then, was she slowly feeling distant? As if Samara were becoming part of another world? A part, she, Soumya, was not sure she would be.

Aah forever, such a beautiful word! But I wonder who has determined the extent of this forever?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo