Skip to main content

Compromises









He loosened the tie on his neck as he rang the doorbell. His shoulders ached from the long day it had been. Shifting the strap of the bag on his shoulder, he sighed.

“Why is it taking so long?” he mumbled in the empty corridor. His stomach roared with agreement.

The door finally seemed to open after what seemed like years.

“Sorry, I was in the kitchen” his wife said, taking his bag off his shoulder. “Long day?” she asked as she rushed back into the kitchen tossing his bag on the sofa.

“I guess”, he slumped down on the sofa beside the bag.

“I’m making mixed fried rice, I hope you’re hungry!” she called out from the kitchen. His stomach responded instead of him.

She laughed that merry laugh he had fallen for when they first met. “I heard that. I’ll take that as a yes.”

He reached for the remote.

“Why don’t you go change first? Get fresh. I’ll set dinner”. He could hear her stirring away.

Before he could answer her question, a shrill voice filled the air, “Daddyyyyyy! You’re home!” the little boy rushed out of his room and into his daddy’s lap.

“Hey there! How’s my big boy?”

“What took you so long?” those puppy dog eyes looked up at him for answers.

“Daddy had some errands to run”.

“I’ve been waiting for hours!” the little one squirmed excitedly on his lap. “I found something in the papers today, I’ll show you right….”

“Now hush, daddy has just come home. Let him breath at least” she emerged with a large bowl out of the kitchen.

“And are you still you here?” those arms set the large bowl down on the table and set themselves on her hips. “Go change! I’m serving dinner.”

The little boy was waving a newspaper by the time he had freshened up and set himself on the dinner table.

“Look daddy! Look what I found on the paper today”

The paper proudly displayed a bicycle: sneering at him.

“The latest! I want it!”

He glanced at the price on the bottom. The price was as good as the bike that gleamed on the paper.

He exchanged a silent look with his wife.

“I can’t wait! I’ll ride it all around town! My friends will be so jealous!” The excitement continued.

He dug into his dinner quietly.

The bike was undoubtedly expensive. It would definitely burn a hole into their pocket for a few months. They had been saving up for months now. He had been working so hard to save up on a motorbike. A motorbike that would at least get him home some time earlier and cut out on his time in the public vehicles; or walking home from the stop. His shoes were screaming at him. Walking everyday on the unraveled road had injured them; he was sure he saw a small hole beneath the sole the other day. And they were definitely beyond repair. But he didn’t want to spend money on a new pair of leather shoes right now. They had been saving up.

 “Why don’t you have a look at other bikes?” she was telling the little one.” This one doesn’t even look that good. Tell him!” she gave him an urging look.

“But daddy, you promised! You promised that if I brought good marks in school, you’d buy me a bike”. The shrill voice was now near to tearful.

“But baby……”, his wife began.

Definitely a hole in their pockets for a while, that voice in his mind repeated.

“I’ll keep my promise”, he said with a spoonful of fried rice.

She glared at him.

“This weekend?” the voice now seemed hopeful.

“This weekend,” he assured.

The little hands shot up in the air.

He smiled. 
He could do more months of those dying shoes and his walking, but not a day of his son’s tears. After all, a compromise is never a compromise when it came to his son, or his family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo