Skip to main content

Privacy from Parents: Where do you draw the line?




The parent-child conflict is no new thing. We all have been there. It is frustrating; especially at the adolescent stage.   It can feel like your parents cannot understand what you are going through.  But they can. How: Because they have already been through the same stage.

It is uncanny how someone we could not stay without a second in our younger days can feel like a completely different person. The expectations, the rules, the dos and don’ts, the questions; it seems to take half of our life. How did we go on to feel more comfortable to share things with our friends more than our parents?

The parent is the first teacher to a child; their first friend. So how does this first friend go on to become someone you hide from: Maybe because somewhere the parent-child relationship comes in between. Funny thing to hear: parent-child relationship coming between a parent and child. But the pressure is equal on both the sides. The parent feels obvious responsibility toward the child. Besides this responsibility, is the worry: the worry that the child might get involved in wrongful activities, the worry that the child is getting off track, the worry that the child might get hurt. So the parent might try to impose rules, the need to know what the child is doing, the need to be certain. This is where one can feel frustration.

As they say, the grass always looks greener on the other side. It might seem like the parent does not understand what the child is going through to the child and only tries to get control. To the parents, it can seem like the child is not trying to take responsibility or is going off track or socializing with people who have bad habits. The key of course, is communication. Share about what is going on in your life with your parents; try to understand from their perspective; be friends with your parents again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo