Skip to main content

Loneliness Vs Solitude




Picture this: you are walking in the park with no one but your thoughts to accompany you. You look around you; take a deep breath. Would you term this as being lonely or being in solitude? The answer may surprise you. While most people, if they do not know, would use the two terms as synonyms, there is more to it than what meets the eye.

Are you comfortable being in this place right here is what would answer your question. Have you ever felt out of place in a room of people?  Do not worry, we have all been there. This is loneliness. The state when not even all the people are enough for you or what you are looking for. Solitude on the other hand is that state where you are by yourself but you are perfectly fine being so. You are taking in everything, all around you. You are at peace. Of the two terms, solitude definitely sounds like the better one and one that you would like to feel. But here’s the catch: you would need both loneliness and solitude in life.

This reminds me of something I read long ago in middle school. It is an excerpt from a series that I used to read called ‘so little time’.

Solitude is one thing,
Loneliness is another.
Solitude is when I’m walking along the beach
And I’m happy just breathing and being.
Loneliness is when not even the beach
Can comfort me or keep me company
Still, it’s the loneliness that makes me grow
While it’s the solitude that keeps me whole.

We all need a little privacy at times, the space where we are absolutely free to do what we want, be what we want to be; not judged, unseen. This is exactly what solitude gives you an opportunity of. But it doesn’t mean that there are not going to be days when you feel alone in the worst state; days when you don’t feel good about yourselves; days when you don’t know where you are heading in life and days when you feel no one would understand and you and it is not even worth trying. But you know what? It is okay. We all have those bad days. But it’s a bad day, not a bad life. And how we rise and perceive such days is what will strengthen us.

Unless you have those days where you feel sad and hollow, how else are you going to appreciate all those days where you are happy and grateful? It is like that old saying that goes: everybody wants happiness, nobody wants pain but you can’t have a rainbow without a little rain. Life is a combination of both the happy moments and sad moments. Of course we would wish we’d get more of the happy days, we all do, but unless you have those broken moments, you will never value those where you feel content. 

Comments

  1. Well observed and written. I like the point on value of loneliness and agree on solitude.

    Regarding solitude, my observation and lessons I learned from MBTI is that extroverts will feel loneliness more often and introverts will want more solitude. Words extrovert and introverts can be misunderstood (as in one being good and other bad). Extroverts are people who gain energy by being with people and introverts are people who gain energy in solitude. But a person is not always an extrovert or introvert. It is more a spectrum of extroversion vs introversion and where a person generally prefers to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And keep on writing 'little' sister ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rajamati

I think we’ve all heard the song of Rajamati growing up. It is so popular that many people in Nepal claim this is the only Newari song that they have heard. The song was written some 200 years back. The first few lines go like this, which I’m sure you must have heard of, unless you’ve been living under a rock: Rājamati kumati, jike wasā pirati Hāya bābā Rājamati-chā Rājamati mabila dhāsā Kāshi wane tela bubā Hayā biu Rājamati-chā. San dhāsā kuli kuli, mikhā dhāsā bālā bālā Sakumi yā mhyāy machā lā Khwā dhāsā tuyu khwā, khwālay niga tee du Tāhā Nani yā Rājamati-chā. It is said to be written by or rather from the perspective of a man who was infatuated and in awe of the beauty of Rajamati. He describes with great admiration: her hair, her eyes, her complexion and the little moles on her face. However it is unknown who the writer of this beautiful song is. The song rushed into popularity after it was played in England in 1850 when Prime Minister Jung Bahadur Rana vi

The Leaving vs The Left Behind

  I still remember,  I was standing near the entrance looking out at the garden. I was at my best friend’s home and she had gone to get her ever famous chips chilly for me. I was to leave for Bangalore again, in a couple of days. While I waited, I looked out at the garden and this thought came into my head. “Who is it harder for? The one leaving or the ones left behind?” Is it going to be harder for me in a new place readjusting and exploring, or my best friend here, who will me miss me? Is it harder for a person to settle in a completely new place with a completely new lifestyle and have to find new people or for a person to see the same old places, the same old alleys and reminiscent the good times they had with their friend who are not around at the moment? It was a random thought that filled my mind a couple of minutes and then I got over it. Some time after resettling here in Bangalore, my best friend sent me a reel. The reel was about 2 close friends who used to lived minutes a

Most Asked Question

  Coming back home after one year has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me the past month. Getting to see everyone again, embracing family and friends, working on an office desk again, walking through same old alleys and of course, devouring delicious food that I so dearly missed. I am actually almost through the food list that I have been saving. But the people have been asking me the same question a lot: do you like it here in Nepal or in Bangalore? And the answer has always been the same for me: I like it wherever I am. Kathmandu is home, it is warm, and it is where family is. Bangalore is a different vibe and freedom and excitement. Kathmandu is a different fun and Bangalore is different fun, which is why I live in the moment and enjoy where I am. My mother always tells me: “ La wani tha nya wani ma” in Nepal Bhasa meaning “ the fish must go where the water goes”. The meaning while very basic is also very deep. If the fish does not flow with the water, it cannot survive. If yo